One of the fun things I have done this month is experiment with image transfers techniques. I started of playing with laser and inkjet transfers…super fun. I made this image of Bree using a Lomo Diana, then digitized it so I could print it out using a laser jet printer. Here is the result:
As many of you know, Polaroid stopped producing some of their beloved instant films. This was a huge disappointment for me because I am a Polaroid Transfer and Polaroid Emulsion Lift lover. I recently read an article online saying it was coming back. I have heard rumors it will be coming back this year…which would be sweet! In the mean time, Fuji took advantage of this and marketed their FP-100c film as a replacement. I decided while I was awaiting the returning of my beloved 669 film I would do some experimenting with the Fuji film. The results were less than satisfying. I read this article which really helped to get something close to a working method. I had to transfer the image in complete darkness for it to work and got quick an exercise with the brayer to transfer the image to the paper base. I also had to use dry paper, which resulted in some blank splotches. The edges that you see with Polaroid film just aren’t the same either. Part of the beauty of the Polaroid film is the unique edges.
I then tried an emulsion lift and wasn’t very happy with that either. The positive side to those is that the image is easy to get off the backing, but very to get it to stay uncurled on the paper base you transfer it to. I had to use some acrylic matte medium to work as an adhesive. So, I thought I would share my first, “visible” result from the fuji film: